Regardless if your parents were amazing or downright awful, it is highly likely that there are certain things you experienced as a child that have greatly impacted your current reality. And, not necessarily in a positive way. Although we don’t realize it at the time, we take in every bit of information from our parents, form beliefs off of that information, and develop a complex system of coping mechanisms.
So, maybe your mom always picked her body apart in front of you, so you developed the belief that you had to have a “perfect” body in order to be worthy. Or lovable. Or a “real woman”. And this belief led to you clinging to perfectionism around your relationship with your body. Or maybe your dad was constantly absent leading you to conclude that men in your life will abandon you. And now, in adulthood, you find yourself picking romantic partners who aren’t emotionally or physically available or searching for approval from your male co-workers.
Reckoning with the impact of your parents is no small feat and can stir up many uncomfortable thoughts and emotions. But, on the other side of that reckoning is unbelievable healing and freedom. Trust… we don’t dig up this shit for the fun of it. We do it to heal. To move to the other side. To access our worth and our happiness. In this episode, I share a three-part formula you can use to unpack the effects of your parents, begin to let go of the past, and access your “enoughness”.
This pod explores:
- The real reason you cling to people-pleasing, perfectionism, and control
- Why we still want approval from our parents… even when they’re total asshats
- An easy, 3-step acronym to help you deal with the residue of your childhood
- How to figure out the beliefs you created due to what was modeled for you by your parents (and what to do to change them)
NEW *FREE* WORKSHOP
READY TO GET RID OF PERFECTIONISM, SELF-DOUBT, AND OVERWHELM?
OF COURSE, YOU ARE!
If you’re DONE feeling overwhelmed, anxious, and stressed out because you’re constantly doing, doing, doing for everyone else, then you must grab your seat in this brand-new workshop! You’ll learn the exact five-step process I take my clients through so they can let go of all the stress and angst of striving for “perfect” and caring waaaaay too much what everyone else thinks.
It’s time to finally believe in yourself, find that self-confidence you crave, and start living your life for YOU. So, clickety-click RIGHT HUURRR or click that image to the right to get on The List! #yourewelcome
THE JOY JUNKIE AFTER HOURS CLUB!
COMPLETELY FREE FACEBOOK GROUP. TONS OF SUPPORT YOU CRAVE.
JOIN THE CLUB.
If you’ve been diggin’ the pod, this group will be an extra dose of support, training vids, discussions, coupon codes, behind the scenes and advice from moi! Plus, it’s #totes free and your new soul tribe is waiting for you!
So, clickety-click RIGHT HUURRR or click that image to the right to join the group! #yourewelcome
- Grab your seat at my workshop!! FOR FREE!!
- Join the After Hours Club: Join the rest of the pod-iance in our secret pod peep group for weekly discussions, extra trainings, and tons of freebies
- POD #156: How-theHell to Speak Up for Yourself With Your Family
- POD #262: I Thought I Already Dealt With This! Why Your Personal Development Journey is Never Done!
- POD #289: Forgiving Others – Especially When They Don’t Deserve It
- POD #318: How to Establish Boundaries Like a Boss
- POD #346: When New Trauma (AKA Pandemic) Kicks Up Old Trauma + What To Do About It
- POD #365: Being “Too Sensitive” in a Callous World
- Brené on Comparative Suffering,the 50/50 Myth, and Settling the Ball
How to Leave Apple Podcasts Reviews:
- Click the “Subscribe on Apple Podcasts” button below or go HERE
- Click on blue button that reads “view in Apple Podcasts” which will open the podcast into your personal Apple Podcasts account
- Click “Ratings & Reviews” under the show title
- Click the star rating of choice and then click the “Write a Review” button
- You can also click “Subscribe” under the podcast photo to be automatically notified of new episodes
Want to Submit a Show Topic?
Swing by THIS PAGE and let us hear what you would like us to sound off on!