If you’ve hung out with me for any length of time, you’ll know that I am often encouraging folks to stop identifying with monikers that feel disempowering. For instance, if you want to get more shit done, you probably should stop calling yourself lazy. Or if you want to knock it off with the people-pleasing already, it’s time to stop saying, “I’m such a people-pleaser”. When we start statements with “I am…” or “I’m so…” we inadvertently cement the very characteristics we want to distance ourselves from.
The concept of our “identity” is something that fluctuates throughout our lifetime and it’s no doubt you’ve dealt with changes to your life roles. You have a baby, now you have a new role as parent. You start a business and now your role changes from employee to business owner. And just like any other change in our life, changes to our roles usher in a slew of emotions to reckon with.
And let’s not forget how other folks shape our identity. It’s likely you can think back to labels others have given you throughout your life. Were you labeled sensitive, needy, jealous, the funny one, the smart one, the one who is always strong through everything? How did those labels land for you? Did they send the message that you were “less than”? Cause more stress to live into those labels? The great news is no matter how long you’ve believed something about yourself, you can always change it. And, that’s exactly what we’re discussing in this week’s episode.
Have a listen as I explore four major ways we can truly understand and embrace who we are. This episode is packed with coaching exercises, so be sure to have a pen and paper handy. We’ll look at the current ways you’ve been identifying (even if you haven’t been conscious about it), how others have influenced your identity and the powerful steps you can take to reclaim your sense of self.
This pod explores:
- The simple inventory exercise you must do to figure out ways you’ve been labeling yourself (without even realizing it)
- How others have “branded” you throughout your life and how that can hold you back or build you up… and what to do with that information
- My favorite “Life Roles” exercise to figure out if you’re spending your time and energy in ways that genuinely light you up
- Exploring the cascading effect of changes in roles creating shifts in emotions and how to navigate those feels
HIRE ME TO SPEAK AT YOUR EVENT!
ACCESS ‘ENOUGHNESS’. POWERFULLY NAVIGATE FEAR. SPEAK UP FOR YOURSELF.
I have three battle-tested (and badass) keynote speeches that are ready to be delivered to your company, organization, group, or association. If you or anyone you know could benefit from me droppin’ some gems (um, like, who couldn’t use some new tools?) please send them to THIS FANCY INFO PAGE on my site where you/they can message me directly about specific needs.
PERKS FOR THE POD-IENCE
This podcast is sponsored by BetterHelp and The Bold-Faced Truth Podcast listeners get 10% off their first month at betterhelp.com/boldtruth or simply enter code boldtruth at checkout. Hello!!
Join the millions of people who have found huge relief and support from BetterHelp therapists and save on your first month while you’re at it! Check it out ~>
- POD #356: Understanding Emotional Intelligence – Connecting What You Feel With What You Do
- POD #370: True Or False: Emotional Intelligence Edition
- POD #428: Hypnosis Session To Foster Emotional Intelligence
- POD #429: [Dial An Expert] Emotional Intelligence And Relationship Communication With Dr. Shyamala Kiru
- POD #443: [Dial An Expert] Identity: Becoming Who You Want To Be With Sara Dean
- Denise Duffield-Thomas
- Hudson Institute
How to Leave Apple Podcasts Reviews:
- Click the “Subscribe on Apple Podcasts” button below or go HERE
- Click on blue button that reads “view in Apple Podcasts” which will open the podcast into your personal Apple Podcasts account
- Click “Ratings & Reviews” under the show title
- Click the star rating of choice and then click the “Write a Review” button
- You can also click “Subscribe” under the podcast photo to be automatically notified of new episodes
Want to Submit a Show Topic?
Swing by THIS PAGE and let us hear what you would like us to sound off on!