If you operate in a femme body or identify as female, it’s highly likely you’ve found yourself contending with a litany of body image “issues”. I put issues in quotes because the things that we worry about, and subsequently own as our “issues”, are purposely manufactured to commodify and exploit our bodies. In essence we’re programmed to have “issues”. They’re given to us. For example, we used to never worry about having body hair. Like, not even a thing. Then, Gillette pops up like, “Hey, we wanna make some money, so how ‘bout you start to think having hair on your legs is gross and give us money to fix it.”
Think about how many products in your pantry, medicine cabinet, dresser drawers, shower, and bathroom vanity have become vaults for a myriad of products designed to change the way you look. Why? Because we have bought into the societal belief that women are valuable based solely on their bodies. And, we have an unbelievably limited view of which bodies are acceptable and permissible.
But what if your body was an instrument and not an ornament? Whaaaaaa? Yeah. On this week’s show I dial up Dr. Lexie Kite who, along with her twin sister, Dr. Lindsay Kite, has developed a social movement to redesign how we, as women, view beauty, body image, and the body positive movement. This conversation is a call to arms to examine the myopic lens through which we’ve been conditioned to see our bodies. Why? So we can see the breadth of our value. Because you, my friend, are so much more than a body.
Get ready to wear a hole in this episode, because it will shake you at your core. In the best way possible.
This pod explores:
- Dr. Lexie’s mantra you need to start using immediately… like, yesterday
- How we’ve been grossly misinformed about what positive body image looks like
- What it looks like to practice body image resilience
- How much of the body positive movement has sorely misdiagnosed the problem (Hint: How focusing on “all bodies are beautiful” may be missing the mark… What!? I know.)
HIRE ME TO SPEAK AT YOUR EVENT!
ACCESS ‘ENOUGHNESS’. POWERFULLY NAVIGATE FEAR. SPEAK UP FOR YOURSELF.
I have three battle-tested (and badass) keynote speeches that are ready to be delivered to your company, organization, group, or association. If you or anyone you know could benefit from me droppin’ some gems (um, like, who couldn’t use some new tools?) please send them to THIS FANCY INFO PAGE on my site where you/they can message me directly about specific needs.
PERKS FOR THE POD-IENCE
This podcast is sponsored by BetterHelp and The Bold-Faced Truth Podcast listeners get 10% off their first month at betterhelp.com/boldtruth or simply enter code boldtruth at checkout. Hello!!
Join the millions of people who have found huge relief and support from BetterHelp therapists and save on your first month while you’re at it! Check it out ~>
- More Than a Body: Your Body Is an Instrument, Not an Ornament by Drs. Lexie and Lindsay Kite
- The Body Is Not an Apology: The Power of Radical Self-Love by Sonya Renee Taylor
- POD #417: [DIAL AN EXPERT] Dismantling Diet Culture (and Hustle Culture) with Susan Hyatt
THIS WEEK’S ‘DIAL AN EXPERT’ GUESTIE
Dr. Lexie Kite and her identical twin, Dr. Lindsay Kite, are co-authors of the book More Than a Body: Your Body Is an Instrument, Not an Ornament and co-directors of the nonprofit Beauty Redefined. They both received PhDs from the University of Utah in the study of female body image and have become leading experts in body image resilience and media literacy. Authors of numerous studies and books have cited Lindsay and Lexie’s original research and they have been featured in a variety of national media outlets, including The New York Times, CNBC, the Boston Globe, Slate, Shape, Glamour, Teen Vogue, and more.
Lindsay and Lexie help girls and women recognize and reject the harmful effects of objectification in their lives through their significant social media reach, online Body Image Resilience course and facilitator program for dietitians and therapists, their popular book (More Than a Body), and regular speaking engagements for thousands of people of all ages.
Connect with Drs. Lexie and Lindsay Kite on Insta
How to Leave Apple Podcasts Reviews:
- Click the “Subscribe on Apple Podcasts” button below or go HERE
- Click on blue button that reads “view in Apple Podcasts” which will open the podcast into your personal Apple Podcasts account
- Click “Ratings & Reviews” under the show title
- Click the star rating of choice and then click the “Write a Review” button
- You can also click “Subscribe” under the podcast photo to be automatically notified of new episodes
Want to Submit a Show Topic?
Swing by THIS PAGE and let us hear what you would like us to sound off on!