Perhaps some of the most challenging relationships we have in our lives are those with our own parents. Although we love them deeply, they are oftentimes the ones who present the most “issues” in our worlds and who tend to drive us the most batty. You feel me? I’ve worked with many students and clients who have the hardest time figuring out if they should sever a relationship with a parent, try to work on it, try to establish boundaries, or just give up on the whole thing altogether.
Maybe you have found yourself tolerating shitty behavior from a parent because they had a horrible upbringing themselves or you’ve bought into the notion that “blood is thicker than water” so you let them get away with things you would never allow from someone you weren’t related to. We tend to emotionally regress around our parents which leaves us feeling inadequate, cowardly, and helpless.
This sort of parental frustration is suuuuuper common and I’m sure you’re no stranger to a similar dynamic. In this episode, I offer seven concepts to help you address a parent who is actually kind of an asshole and/or you aren’t fully sure you want in your life any longer. Unless you have a super flawless relationship with your parents (and if you do, bless you, and go thank them RIGHT NOW), then this pod is a MUST. Plus, many of these concepts can be applied to other challenging relationships in your life.
This pod explores:
- Understanding the multiple emotions you have around your parents and why that’s okay
- How to figure out the role you want a less-than-stellar parent to have in your life
- What to say if other family members want to get involved and ask you about the issue
- How to figure out exactly what you need from your parent and how to ask for it (and when not to)
APPLICATIONS NOW OPEN!
IT’S TIME TO BELIEVE YOU ARE WORTHY, ONCE AND FOR ALL.
It’s time to stop talking constant shit to yourself. It’s time to stop caring so much about what everyone else thinks of you. It’s time to let go of that death grip on perfectionism, self-doubt, and people-pleasing. After all, how has all that shit been working? That’s what I thought.
Let’s kick that shit to the curb, shall we? Doors are now open for an exclusive, group-coaching immersion that will teach you the skills to access some serious “enoughness,” start believing in yourself, and speak up for yourself like a bold, boundaried badass. Oh, and this 9-month, deep-dive includes a 5-day, luxury retreat! Hello!
Want in? Of course, you do. Clickety click RIGHT HERE or click the fancy image to get the invitation and apply for WORTHY. so we can get shit handled!
HIRE ME TO SPEAK AT YOUR EVENT!
ACCESS ‘ENOUGHNESS’. POWERFULLY NAVIGATE FEAR. SPEAK UP FOR YOURSELF.
I have three battle-tested (and badass) keynote speeches that are ready to be delivered to your company, organization, group, or association. If you or anyone you know could benefit from me droppin’ some gems (um, like, who couldn’t use some new tools?) please send them to THIS FANCY INFO PAGE on my site where you/they can message me directly about specific needs.
PERKS FOR THE POD-IENCE
This podcast is sponsored by BetterHelp and The Bold-Faced Truth Podcast listeners get 10% off their first month at betterhelp.com/boldtruth or simply enter code boldtruth at checkout. Hello!!
Join the millions of people who have found huge relief and support from BetterHelp therapists and save on your first month while you’re at it! Check it out ~>
- POD #250: Tough Convos 101
- POD #304: Dealing with Confrontation (When You Hate Confrontation)
- POD #337: 5 Ways to Figure Out Your Boundaries
- POD #357: 6 Ways To Start Speaking Up For Yourself
- POD #396: [AMY SAYS] How-the-hell to Establish Lasting Boundaries
- POD #459: The Connection Between Perfectionism, Procrastination, And Feeling Stuck + What To Do About It
- POD #460: Understanding Trauma + The Subconscious Mind
- POD #461: Dealing With Parental Trauma With Alexa Rae Schiefer
How to Leave Apple Podcasts Reviews:
- Click the “Subscribe on Apple Podcasts” button below or go HERE
- Click on blue button that reads “view in Apple Podcasts” which will open the podcast into your personal Apple Podcasts account
- Click “Ratings & Reviews” under the show title
- Click the star rating of choice and then click the “Write a Review” button
- You can also click “Subscribe” under the podcast photo to be automatically notified of new episodes
Want to Submit a Show Topic?
Swing by THIS PAGE and let us hear what you would like us to sound off on!