Iwish I had a dollar for every time someone told me something that happened in their childhood that cleeeeearly still affects them and then they say something like, “But, I’m totally over it though. It’s not that big of a deal.” Sure, sure it’s not. I would have, like, so many dollars. Here’s the deal: We never root for our trauma. We never really like the idea that something damaging happened to us in our youth. Or that we still carry around some disempowering beliefs bestowed to us by our primary caregivers. It’s much easier to dismiss the pain and say everything is just fine. Nothing to see here! Look away!
The problem is that we are ALL affected by the things that happen to us in our childhood. And the subconscious part of our brain keeps tally of all of it. But just like the moniker implies, it’s all running beneath our consciousness. Ever wonder why you constantly feel the need to please others even though you know it’s impeding your work or your relationships? It’s likely you developed a positive association with people-pleasing early in your life and now it’s embedded in the subconscious part of your mind.
In this episode, I dig into the way our conscious and subconscious minds work and how they relate to the various traumas we experience. I also discuss the biggest fallacy about trauma that most folks still believe to be true and I share my favorite journaling tool to start unpacking how certain instances from your childhood crafted your current reality. Get ready to have a deeper understanding about how the subconscious works and how you can take some powerful steps toward healing.
This pod explores:
- How to put the inner critic, or “subconscious guard dog” to sleep, so you can change your deep-seated beliefs
- Three types of trauma and why it’s more important how an incident affected you rather than the incident itself
- My favorite journal exercise to uncover how certain instances from your childhood are currently impacting you
- What support looks like for dealing with familial trauma
APPLICATIONS NOW OPEN!
IT’S TIME TO BELIEVE YOU ARE WORTHY, ONCE AND FOR ALL.
It’s time to stop talking constant shit to yourself. It’s time to stop caring so much about what everyone else thinks of you. It’s time to let go of that death grip on perfectionism, self-doubt, and people-pleasing. After all, how has all that shit been working? That’s what I thought.
Let’s kick that shit to the curb, shall we? Doors are now open for an exclusive, group-coaching immersion that will teach you the skills to access some serious “enoughness,” start believing in yourself, and speak up for yourself like a bold, boundaried badass. Oh, and this 9-month, deep-dive includes a 5-day, luxury retreat! Hello!
Want in? Of course, you do. Clickety click RIGHT HERE or click the fancy image to get the invitation and apply for WORTHY. so we can get shit handled!
HIRE ME TO SPEAK AT YOUR EVENT!
ACCESS ‘ENOUGHNESS’. POWERFULLY NAVIGATE FEAR. SPEAK UP FOR YOURSELF.
I have three battle-tested (and badass) keynote speeches that are ready to be delivered to your company, organization, group, or association. If you or anyone you know could benefit from me droppin’ some gems (um, like, who couldn’t use some new tools?) please send them to THIS FANCY INFO PAGE on my site where you/they can message me directly about specific needs.
PERKS FOR THE POD-IENCE
This podcast is sponsored by BetterHelp and The Bold-Faced Truth Podcast listeners get 10% off their first month at betterhelp.com/boldtruth or simply enter code boldtruth at checkout. Hello!!
Join the millions of people who have found huge relief and support from BetterHelp therapists and save on your first month while you’re at it! Check it out ~>
- POD #457: 10 Things to Do When You Feel Stuck
- POD #458: What to Do When You Feel Stuck As Fuck with Britt Frank
- POD #459: The Connection Between Perfectionism, Procrastination, And Feeling Stuck + What To Do About It
How to Leave Apple Podcasts Reviews:
- Click the “Subscribe on Apple Podcasts” button below or go HERE
- Click on blue button that reads “view in Apple Podcasts” which will open the podcast into your personal Apple Podcasts account
- Click “Ratings & Reviews” under the show title
- Click the star rating of choice and then click the “Write a Review” button
- You can also click “Subscribe” under the podcast photo to be automatically notified of new episodes
Want to Submit a Show Topic?
Swing by THIS PAGE and let us hear what you would like us to sound off on!