How many times have you silenced yourself from expressing how you truly feel to someone because you fear coming across as needy? Maybe you worry what your partner may say if you find yourself needing more alone time. Or perhaps you think your over-achieving sister will slam you in front of the fam and call you lazy if you take the time you truly need to rest and recharge. Like, god-forbid you actually honor the fact that literally every human being has needs.
Not to mention we have a massive patriarchal narrative that reserves “neediness” largely for those identifying as women… and not necessarily in a good way. Perhaps you’ve been told, “You’re so emotional” or “You’re too sensitive’ or “You’re so needy” and you received the message loud and fucking clear that your needs are just way too much to handle and accommodate. So, we learn to silence ourselves and abandon what we truly want and need to live a happy life, which can lead to staying in jobs we loath and attached to relationships that make us feel like who we are is innately “wrong”.
This week on the show, I dial up my pal, Mara Glatzel, who is literally writing the book on being needy. We discuss the difference between wants and needs and why that doesn’t really matter all that much, what the concept of self-care has to do with honoring needs, and the first place you need to start when figuring out what you need. If you’ve been operating in a space of hustle, constantly taking care of other people, and really have never stopped to pause and evaluate your needs, this episode is a must-listen.
This pod explores:
- How-the-hell to balance honoring your needs/self-care and actually getting shit done
- The difference between the wildly popular Prescriptive Self-Care and the much needed Responsive Self-Care
- How to examine some of the doors we’ve shut on our own needs during the Pandemic because we aren’t able to fulfill them in the same way (ie If I can’t do group fitness anymore, I’ll just shut the fitness door completely)
- Why the concept of “Needs v. Wants” doesn’t really matter in living a fulfilled life
HIRE ME TO SPEAK AT YOUR EVENT!
ACCESS ‘ENOUGHNESS’. POWERFULLY NAVIGATE FEAR. SPEAK UP FOR YOURSELF.
I have three battle-tested (and badass) keynote speeches that are ready to be delivered to your company, organization, group, or association. If you or anyone you know could benefit from me droppin’ some gems (um, like, who couldn’t use some new tools?) please send them to THIS FANCY INFO PAGE on my site where you/they can message me directly about specific needs.
PERKS FOR THE POD-IENCE
This podcast is sponsored by BetterHelp and The Bold-Faced Truth Podcast listeners get 10% off their first month at betterhelp.com/boldtruth or simply enter code boldtruth at checkout. Hello!!
Join the millions of people who have found huge relief and support from BetterHelp therapists and save on your first month while you’re at it! Check it out ~>
READY TO GET RID OF PERFECTIONISM, SELF-DOUBT, AND OVERWHELM?
OF COURSE, YOU ARE!
If you’re DONE feeling overwhelmed, anxious, and stressed out because you’re constantly doing, doing, doing for everyone else, then you must grab your seat in this brand-new workshop! You’ll learn the exact five-step process I take my clients through so they can let go of all the stress and angst of striving for “perfect” and caring waaaaay too much what everyone else thinks.
It’s time to finally believe in yourself, find that self-confidence you crave, and start living your life for YOU. So, clickety-click RIGHT HUURRR or click that image to the right to get on The List! #yourewelcome
- Grab your seat at my new workshop!! FOR FREE!!
- POD #274: 5 Reasons Why ‘Selfish’ is the New Black
- POD #344: What Self-Care “*Really* Means
- POD #430: Understanding + Working with the 4 Communication Styles – Part 1
- POD #431: Understanding + Working with the 4 Communication Styles – Part 2
- Mating in Captivity, by Esther Perel
THIS WEEK’S ‘DIAL AN EXPERT’ GUESTIE
Mara Glatzel, MSW (she/her) is an intuitive coach, writer, and podcast host. She is a needy human who helps other needy humans stop abandoning themselves and start reclaiming their humanity through embracing their needs and honoring their natural energy cycles. Her superpower is saying what you need to hear when you need to hear it and she is here to help you believe in yourself as much as she believes in you. Find out more at MaraGlatzel.com
How to Leave Apple Podcasts Reviews:
- Click the “Subscribe on Apple Podcasts” button below or go HERE
- Click on blue button that reads “view in Apple Podcasts” which will open the podcast into your personal Apple Podcasts account
- Click “Ratings & Reviews” under the show title
- Click the star rating of choice and then click the “Write a Review” button
- You can also click “Subscribe” under the podcast photo to be automatically notified of new episodes
Want to Submit a Show Topic?
Swing by THIS PAGE and let us hear what you would like us to sound off on!