Someone does something that really bothers you, but you’d rather pull your own teeth out than have a confrontation… so you just stay quiet. Or maybe your family is so damn aggressive that you find it easier to hide in the shadows instead of “rocking the boat”.
If you weren’t properly taught how to advocate for your own wants, needs, and opinions [spoiler: none of us were], it’s likely that you find yourself falling into one of the less-than-effective communication styles. Research has shown that there are four main communication styles: passive, aggressive, passive-aggressive (a fan fave), and assertive. Twenty points if you can figure out which one is most effective. Yup, Assertive.
But, if you’re like most, you probably dip your toes in a bit of the other three. And, you certainly are not alone. In this episode, part one of two, I take a deep dive into the Passive and the Aggressive communication styles. I cover off what they typically sound like, what their go-to tactics are, what to do if you communicate this way, and what to do if you’re engaging with someone who employs one of these styles. Be sure to have a pen and paper handy as I spell out specific verbiage and phrases you can use… like, yesterday.
This pod explores:
- Understanding where a Passive Communication Style typically stems from and why it’s not always a bad thing
- How to mitigate the eventual eruptions (hello, volcano!) that a Passive Communication often leads to
- The sneaky way Aggressive Communication can show up (and what to do about it)
- The absolute #1 priority if you are dealing with an extreme Aggressive Communicator (it’s non-negotiable, y’all)
HIRE ME TO SPEAK AT YOUR EVENT!
ACCESS ‘ENOUGHNESS’. POWERFULLY NAVIGATE FEAR. SPEAK UP FOR YOURSELF.
I have three battle-tested (and badass) keynote speeches that are ready to be delivered to your company, organization, group, or association. If you or anyone you know could benefit from me droppin’ some gems (um, like, who couldn’t use some new tools?) please send them to THIS FANCY INFO PAGE on my site where you/they can message me directly about specific needs.
PERKS FOR THE POD-IENCE
This podcast is sponsored by BetterHelp and The Bold-Faced Truth Podcast listeners get 10% off their first month at betterhelp.com/boldtruth or simply enter code boldtruth at checkout. Hello!!
Join the millions of people who have found huge relief and support from BetterHelp therapists and save on your first month while you’re at it! Check it out ~>
READY TO GET RID OF PERFECTIONISM, SELF-DOUBT, AND OVERWHELM?
OF COURSE, YOU ARE!
If you’re DONE feeling overwhelmed, anxious, and stressed out because you’re constantly doing, doing, doing for everyone else, then you must grab your seat in this brand-new workshop! You’ll learn the exact five-step process I take my clients through so they can let go of all the stress and angst of striving for “perfect” and caring waaaaay too much what everyone else thinks.
It’s time to finally believe in yourself, find that self-confidence you crave, and start living your life for YOU. So, clickety-click RIGHT HUURRR or click that image to the right to get on The List! #yourewelcome
- Grab your seat at my new workshop!! FOR FREE!!
- #304: Dealing With Confrontation (When You Hate Confrontation)
- #426: [Amy Says] 4 Step Process To Understanding + Navigating Anger (Without Losing Your Damn Mind)
- #428: [Amy Says] Hypnosis Session To Foster Emotional Intelligence
- #429: [Dial An Expert] Emotional Intelligence And Relationship Communication With Dr. Shyamala Kiru
- The Gottman institute
- Alvernia University Article: 4 Types of Communication Styles
- BetterHelp Article: What To Do When You Recognize Passive Behavior In Yourself Or Others
- Atlas of the Heart, Brené Brown
How to Leave Apple Podcasts Reviews:
- Click the “Subscribe on Apple Podcasts” button below or go HERE
- Click on blue button that reads “view in Apple Podcasts” which will open the podcast into your personal Apple Podcasts account
- Click “Ratings & Reviews” under the show title
- Click the star rating of choice and then click the “Write a Review” button
- You can also click “Subscribe” under the podcast photo to be automatically notified of new episodes
Want to Submit a Show Topic?
Swing by THIS PAGE and let us hear what you would like us to sound off on!