Most folks (maybe even you) who have a love affair with achievement and accomplishment, find that their tenacity and attachment to perfection has created a ton of significant success in their lives. Maybe they even wear the “over-achiever” label as a badge of honor. Sound like you? Maybe your constant striving and achieving has enabled you to succeed in school, your career, or in your community. But there can absolutely be a dark side to achievement.
The obsession to achieve and be perfect at all costs can cause significant impediment to your happiness. How easy is it for you to simply rest, recharge, and do absolutely nothing? [gasp!] How often do you stand in judgment for others who prioritize fun and play over productivity? [shit!] How often do you really celebrate your accomplishments? Most overachievers have a hard time accepting compliments or acknowledging their successes because they are so focused on what’s next… What haven’t I accomplished? Where am I lacking or coming up short? You may also have a hellova time actually slowing down and resting. I mean… you should at least be folding laundry if you’re watching TV, right?
In this deep dive episode, I explore the handful of reasons why we are so seduced by overachieving (hello, ‘not enoughness!’), the ramifications of a death grip on achievement, and five things you can do to make sure your achievement is always in service of you rather than stealing your joy. Don’t worry… you don’t have to become a slacker or anything… we’re just going to explore when it’s healthy and when it isn’t. [whew!]
This pod explores:
- The typical hustle cycle we get obsessed with and how it delays your happiness… like, forever
- Understanding the ways achievement fulfills us and when it begins to steal our joy
- How to create an identity that is bigger than your accomplishments (you are MORE than a series of checked boxes, I promise)
- How marginalized communities are pressured to prove themselves which can sometimes result in an unhealthy relationship with achievement
HIRE ME TO SPEAK AT YOUR EVENT!
ACCESS ‘ENOUGHNESS’. POWERFULLY NAVIGATE FEAR. SPEAK UP FOR YOURSELF.
I have three battle-tested (and badass) keynote speeches that are ready to be delivered to your company, organization, group, or association. If you or anyone you know could benefit from me droppin’ some gems (um, like, who couldn’t use some new tools?) please send them to THIS FANCY INFO PAGE on my site where you/they can message me directly about specific needs.
PERKS FOR THE POD-IENCE
This podcast is sponsored by BetterHelp and The Bold-Faced Truth Podcast listeners get 10% off their first month at betterhelp.com/boldtruth or simply enter code boldtruth at checkout. Hello!!
Join the millions of people who have found huge relief and support from BetterHelp therapists and save on your first month while you’re at it! Check it out ~>
- Free-sources – some free ways I can help!!
- POD #306: The Top 5 Regrets Of The Dying + How To Live A Regret-free Life EP#306
- POD #359: Necessary Rest: What It Means To Truly Restore
- POD#459: The Connection Between Perfectionism, Procrastination, and Feeling Stuck + What to Do About It
- POD #463: [Dial an Expert] Releasing A Toxic Relationship To Achievement + Goal-Setting With Tara Mcmullin
How to Leave Apple Podcasts Reviews:
- Click the “Subscribe on Apple Podcasts” button below or go HERE
- Click on blue button that reads “view in Apple Podcasts” which will open the podcast into your personal Apple Podcasts account
- Click “Ratings & Reviews” under the show title
- Click the star rating of choice and then click the “Write a Review” button
- You can also click “Subscribe” under the podcast photo to be automatically notified of new episodes
Want to Submit a Show Topic?
Swing by THIS PAGE and let us hear what you would like us to sound off on!