Have you ever found yourself feeling like no matter what you do, no matter how hard you work, how “perfect” you may be, or how many damn boxes you’ve checked off it never seems to be enough? Your mind constantly spins with “I’m not smart enough… accomplished enough… pretty enough… good enough” or fill in the blank with some other “not enough”. It’s almost as though your entire life is centered around attaining this elusive Enoughness.
And, DAMN is that ever stressful, amiright!? Constantly doing, doing, doing… Constantly achieving. Constantly perfecting. Twisting, contorting… trying to find your worth in how others perceive you. Sound familiar?
Well, I have some very good news for you. If you’ve found yourself trying to garner “enoughness” through these same behaviors or found your inner shit-talker telling you just simply are not good enough, it’s actually not a YOU problem. It’s a much larger problem with the society in which we live. And that society is steeped in patriarchy. So, the great news is that there is nothing wrong with you. You are not broken. But, our culture? Our society? Yes, therein lies the problem.
Throughout millenia women have endured the perpetual stress of not being “enough” and in the words of my brilliant guest this week, Dr. Valerie Rein, they have been viewed as being “worth less” than men. In this candid and thought-provoking conversation, Dr. Valerie highlights her discovery of Patriarchy Stress Disorder (PSD) and how it impacts every last one of us. We discuss the influence of religion on our patriarchal system, how generational trauma is impacting how we show up in the world, and what we can do to reclaim our personal agency and power. You’re welcome.
This pod explores:
- The number one symptom of trauma and how to recognize it in your own life (Spoiler: We literally ALL have trauma)
- Dr. Valerie’s concept of “Falling Asleep” or “Taking a Bite of the Poisonous Patriarchy Apple” and what we can do to regain our personal strength and power
- Understanding intergenerational trauma and how it affects you… even if you think you had a “pretty good” childhood
- How to shift from constantly asking “How much more can I bear?” to “How good can it get?” (Yes, please!)
PERKS FOR THE POD-IANCE
This podcast is sponsored by BetterHelp and The Joy Junkie Show Podcast listeners get 10% off their first month at BetterHelp.com/thejoyjunkie. Hello!!
Join the millions of people who have found huge relief and support from BetterHelp therapists and save on your first while you’re at it! Check it out ~>
READY TO GET RID OF PERFECTIONISM, SELF-DOUBT, AND OVERWHELM?
OF COURSE, YOU ARE!
If you’re DONE feeling overwhelmed, anxious, and stressed out because you’re constantly doing, doing, doing for everyone else, then you must grab your seat in this brand-new workshop! You’ll learn the exact five-step process I take my clients through so they can let go of all the stress and angst of striving for “perfect” and caring waaaaay too much what everyone else thinks.
It’s time to finally believe in yourself, find that self-confidence you crave, and start living your life for YOU. So, clickety-click RIGHT HUURRR or click that image to the right to get on The List! #yourewelcome
THIS WEEK’S ‘DIAL AN EXPERT’ GUESTIE
Dr. Valerie Rein is a psychologist and women’s mental health expert who has discovered Patriarchy Stress Disorder (PSD) and created the only science-backed system for helping women achieve their ultimate success, happiness, and fulfillment by healing the intergenerational trauma of oppression.
She holds an EdM in Psychological Counseling from Columbia University and a PhD in Psychology from the Institute of Transpersonal Psychology. Her #1 Amazon bestselling book, “Patriarchy Stress Disorder: The Invisible Inner Barrier to Women’s Happiness and Fulfillment” has been heralded by reviewers as “the most important body of literary work of our modern times” and “perhaps the most important book of the century for women.”
Dr. Valerie’s cutting-edge programs have helped thousands of women shift from “how much can I bear?” to “how good can it get?”, from survival to thriving, in their work and personal lives.
Here are some great opportunities to get connected with Dr. Valerie:
2) Follow her on Instagram — or on Facebook – feel free to tag and DM her! She love tags and hashtags, hers are #patriarchystressdisorder and #thethrivingexperience — follow them for updates
3) Come out and play with us live at our legendary free virtual retreat, The Thriving Experience! Learn more and register here.
How to Leave Apple Podcasts Reviews:
- Click the “Subscribe on Apple Podcasts” button below or go HERE
- Click on blue button that reads “view in Apple Podcasts” which will open the podcast into your personal Apple Podcasts account
- Click “Ratings & Reviews” under the show title
- Click the star rating of choice and then click the “Write a Review” button
- You can also click “Subscribe” under the podcast photo to be automatically notified of new episodes
Want to Submit a Show Topic?
Swing by THIS PAGE and let us hear what you would like us to sound off on!