I get it. You were told to never hurt anyone’s feelings. You were told to “not rock the boat”. You were told to “not let people down”. And you took that to heart. When you had a problem with something your bestie said, you swept it under the rug. Don’t open up that can of worms. When you had probs in the bedroom, you told your bestie and your therapist, but you could neeeever tell your spouse! I mean… that would destroy him/her.
And, you continue this pattern throughout your life. When you’re pissed at your boss, you find co-workers to collude with, but never bring up the issue to the powers that be. When you don’t like how your mother-in-law is butting into your parenting, you bite your lip. And, then maybe have an explosive fight with your partner about it.
Listen, I feel you. For many of us, we have lived our entire lives believing that saying what we really mean is a recipe for disaster and should be avoided at all costs. But here’s the clincher: If you constantly do and say shit instead of saying what you really need/want/feel, you are sending yourself a huge, subconscious message that everyone else’s wants, needs, and opinions are more important than yours. Not to mention that you’re kinda being a liar.
In this episode, I look at six common tactics we employ instead of saying what we really mean, hoping that the other party will be able to read our signs and signals and magically be what we need. How’s that working out? That’s what I thought.
This pod explores:
- The most common self-talk we use to justify “sweeping it under the rug”
- How joking about shit you’re actually serious about is completely shooting yourself in the foot
- How to know if there is something you need to give voice to… even if you really don’t want to
- The ways in which you may be a big ‘ol liar and haven’t even realized it (It’s okay. We can fix it.)
NEW *FREE* WORKSHOP
READY TO GET RID OF PERFECTIONISM, SELF-DOUBT, AND OVERWHELM?
OF COURSE, YOU ARE!
Is this the year you go from a people-pleasing, guilt-tripped perfectionist to a bold and boundaried badass? Um, yeah. I think it is!
If you’re DONE feeling overwhelmed, anxious, and stressed out because you’re constantly doing, doing, doing for everyone else, then you must grab your seat in this brand-new workshop! You’ll learn the exact five-step process I take my clients through so they can let go of all the stress and angst of striving for “perfect” and caring waaaaay too much what everyone else thinks.
It’s time to finally believe in yourself, find that self-confidence you crave, and start living your life for YOU. So, clickety-click RIGHT HUURRR or click that image to the right to get on The List! #yourewelcome
THE JOY JUNKIE AFTER HOURS CLUB!
COMPLETELY FREE FACEBOOK GROUP. TONS OF SUPPORT YOU CRAVE.
JOIN THE CLUB.
You in on this FREE badassery yet? You are officially invited to my super exclusive/inclusive, [grin] Facebook group, The Joy Junkie After Hours Club!
If you’ve been diggin’ the pod, this group will be an extra dose of support, training vids, discussions, coupon codes, behind the scenes and advice from moi! Plus, it’s #totes free and your new soul tribe is waiting for you!
So, clickety-click RIGHT HUURRR or click that image to the right to join the group! #yourewelcome
- Grab your seat at my new workshop!! FOR FREE!!
- Join the After Hours Club: Join the rest of the pod-iance in our secret pod peep group for weekly discussions, extra trainings, and tons of freebies
- Submit your burning Qs to me and Andrea at NotAnotherPod.com
How to Leave Apple Podcasts Reviews:
- Click the “Subscribe on Apple Podcasts” button below or go HERE
- Click on blue button that reads “view in Apple Podcasts” which will open the podcast into your personal Apple Podcasts account
- Click “Ratings & Reviews” under the show title
- Click the star rating of choice and then click the “Write a Review” button
- You can also click “Subscribe” under the podcast photo to be automatically notified of new episodes
Want to Submit a Show Topic?
Swing by THIS PAGE and let us hear what you would like us to sound off on!